Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Be Careful!!

Yesterday I took J and K to Artic Cricle for lunch and to play on the play place. We had just sat down in the play area to eat when J announced he had to go potty. From where I was sitting, I could see the door to the restroom so I told him he could go on ahead and I would stay with the baby and watch him. I then proceeded to watch him walk into the room, and with the door still open, watched some GUY walk in behind him and close the door! There is only one potty in that room, no stalls! So I was a little unnerved to to see him go in after J. I ran to the door to find it locked so I knocked on it. I yelled for J and the GUY answered, "Oh, he's okay." So then I ran around to the counter and told one of the boy employees what had happened, and then asked him if he would go get him out of the bathroom! We went back to the door just as the GUY was walking out and he said, "Oh, if you're looking for the little boy, he just went out." He then proceeded to casually walk out of the restaurant, get in his car and leave. J was back at our table acting like nothing had happened. I tried to talk to him about what had just happened and he just did not compute. I then tried to convey to him that no one, EVER, should be in the bathroom with you unless it is your Dad!

The more time I've had to think about it since then, I know I should have paid more attention to what the guy looked like, what kind of car he drove, maybe even his license plate! I was just so freaked out, I was just watching for J. Now I don't know if the GUY was a child predator or just some idiot who felt like it was okay to "share" a bathroom with a little kid, I guess I'll never know. And I feel like we live in a relatively safe place, but NO where is entirely safe! I vow to be more vigilant! My children are the most important people to me in this entire world! I don't know what I'd do if something were to happen to them because of my lack of protectiveness. It's okay to be overprotective of your kids. Just a reminder to us all, be careful!! You never know what will happen.

8 comments:

Burrowing In said...

So glad Josh is safe and sound!

Wammack Family said...

Wow that is scary!

JulieJ said...

The joys of having boys and public restrooms. My boys are old enough to start complaing about using womens-even though I tell them it is the "family bathroom". I have become a little more relaxed during emergency situations. I was checking out at out Wal-mart and one really needed to go. So, I let the older two go together. Probably shouldn't have though. It's too bad we live in a world where this stuff matters.

Amberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amberly said...

That is seriously scary!

I had to delete my first comment because I had a typo!

Tina said...

It is so scary. We wree at B&N yesterday adn there was a guy just sitting in the corner of the kids area reading but Tyler told me he was freaking him out...I didn't leave them...we need to support their feeling s about stuff like that. Q has tried to go on his own ONCE and it freaked me out so bad I almost went in after him! We decided that he could use the boys bathroom alone when he is 16.

Jody said...

Crazy~ That would get me a bit unnerved especially with the door locked! Good thing you watched him go in and knocked if you wouldn't have been there knocking who knows how long that man would have been alone with your child!! Grasps at my heart even thinking about what could happen!! Close call!!

AMANDAM said...

That is a scary story. You did more than I would have thought to do. I probably would just have stood there, unsure of what to do. Once we were at the library and porter had to the bathroom. He ran ahead of me and went into the men's room. An older man went in right after him and I was a little concerned but I wasn't sure what to do (it was a regular bathroom with stalls, etc.). I yelled into porter to come back out but he said he was almost done. The guy came out right about the same time porter did and they came out pretty quickly so I was calm until I noticed that porter's shirt was tucked nicely into his pants. I knew that he couldn't have done that himself so I asked him what had happened. He said the guy had helped him. I tried to ask him more, but porter had lost interest in the conversation. By then, the guy had gone and I hadn't paid attention to which way he had gone, what he looked like, etc. I still wonder if that guy was just trying to help porter out or if he did something more to him. After that, porter isn't allowed to go in the men's room by himself. Even if I let him go to the bathroom alone, I make him go to the women's bathroom. I have told that the rule is that you have to use the girls bathroom until you are 7.